The process of which this cake is made is really pretty cool. The whipped egg whites, when folded in ever so gently, and when put into the bundt pan. The eggs act as a leavening agent when cooking, making the cake rise, until the finished product is light, and fluffy. It is also one of the low fat desserts. You can add fresh fruit, and a non fat dairy topping to go along with this. It will be a delicious treat.
Ingredients you will need:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted
1 cup granulated sugar1 cup unbleached flour sifted
1 1/2 cup egg whites — just blended- will eventually whip all into firm, soft peaks.
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix powdered sugar and flour in a mixing bowl; set aside.
- In separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla bean paste, salt, and almond extract at high speed until well blended. You will gradually sprinkle in granulated sugar about 2-3 tablespoons at a time while beating at high speed. Beat until the sugar is dissolved and egg whites are whipped into stiff peaks. Do not scrape sides of bowl during beating, this will deflate the air that you are incorporating into the egg whites.
- Fold in flour mixture about 1/3 at a time, with a rubber spatula just until flour disappears.
- Pour mixture in unprepared 10″ bundt pan. Cut through batter to break large air bubbles with metal spatula.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a nice golden,or until done.
- Remove from oven and set upside-down until cooled.